Image Upload

File size must be less than 500kb

File types (jpg, png, gif)






corowa-house-fire
File photo (Pixabay)

Corowa House Fire

Corowa House Fire

File photo (Pixabay)

Locals Urged to Get Working Smoke Alarm

North East and border residents are being reminded that this is the most dangerous time of year for house fires, after a house was burned to the ground in Corowa.

Article continues below

Firefighters from Corowa and Wahgunyah were called to the blaze on Cadell street yesterday evening.

Luckily, no-one was home at the time of the fire, but the house and all the possessions inside were completely destroyed.

After a mother and daughter were killed in a tragic house fire in Tallarook on Sunday night, locals are being urged to make sure they have working smoke alarms.

“Over the last 10 years, most fatal fires started at night, either in lounge rooms or bedrooms," says North East Region CFA Manager of Community Safety, Darren Viney.

"People lose their sense of smell when they are asleep, so the smell of smoke won’t wake them up. Therefore, CFA recommends smoke alarms be placed in every living area and bedroom. The number and location of working smoke alarms in the home increases your family’s chances of escaping from a fire."

The Latest